Friday, September 19, 2008

Something so simple!

I have been suffering from excessive head sweating for years. You know, the kind that feels like your head is on fire and the sweat starts like a waterfall at the top of your head and just goes out 360 from there. Sweat in your eyes, hair soaking wet, flushed, people wondering if you were ill, embarassing as all heck, always mopping up sweat. I blamed it on menopause for years, then that was over and the sweating continued. The doctor would just say to drink Gatorade if I thought I was getting dehydrated. I read or saw somewhere that acetamenophin (tylenol, et al) could cause excessing sweating in some people. That started me on an internet research safari into sweating, drugs, and other stuff that said anything at all about excess sweating. I stumbled onto an obscure website that said to take an antihistamine to help with the sweating. The article talked about some drug I had never heard of being used in a very small study into excess sweatingso, and that a small percentage of the people actually quit sweating. I looked it up and it turned out to be just plain old antihistamine! Well, egad I thought, my husband has that stuff around all the time for his allergies, Soooo I got the stuff out, read the label and started taking it as directed. Believe it or not I think it is working, I haven't lost a drop to sweating yet today. Would you believe it??? That might have been a small study, with small results, but apparently I am one of the luckier ones that the stuff will work for. HOORAY for acetamenophin!!! I'm not a doctor, just an old woman trying to stay dry, try it if you want or not. I will let you all know if it continues to work or if this is just a fluke of a day.

No comments: