Thursday, September 18, 2008

Seems Like It All Goes At Once!

In the past month we have had to repair or replace a backyard fence, a clogged sink, dripping faucet, and non working electrical switches. The front fence needs replacing, we need to update the electrical service into the house, and tnow the drawers in the kitchen are literally falling into the cupboards!. The front fence in a 30 year old eyesore it is an old "rail" fence and is so ugly it is almost funny, but it serves the purpose so now it has gone back to the bottom of the "to do" list. The electrical service only has 2 circuits for the entire house, so sometimes you have to be wary of turning on certain appliances for fear of turning the others off, for example if I turn on the swamp cooler while the TV and any other switch or electricity is on, the TV goes off. This house was built before all these new fancy contraptions that need to be plugged in, either to charge up or to work at all. We have about 50 times more electric stuff in this house than I've ever had in any house in my life, and the stuff just keeps growing. So, we need to get an electrician to build up the circuits, which I guess now is priority numbr 1. Yesterday morning I went into my poor old kitchen that was a really cheap job to begin with, and has needed majora face lift for years, and the sliverware drawer had literally fallen into the cupboard below and was hanging on by it's drawer front. We have been tinking about a kitchen overhaul for years, but since it has been functional, have put it off. Now it seems to be looming there like a big open mouthed monster, and we need to update that too. Besides all the other little water leaks that appear in the 30 year old sprinkler system, the constant battle with tumbleweeds and other weeds that "bite", trying to keep the house clean, and the outside looking respectable, Keeping up with the neighbor cats that find my cats food much more appealing than their own, a swimming pool we would like to fill in, and the constant battle with sand filtering into the house, we have it pretty good here. The house is paid for, the car is paid for, we don't owe anyone any money, we should be just tickled pink, but there is always something about your house trying to fall apart that drives you nuts! Poor old house is 30, a long time for a house, out here in the desert you always have wind and sand grinding away at everything, and sometimes the dry air isn't your friend, but all in all we have been pretty lucky. I do have a "spa tub" in my bathroom that is a royal pain though, what fool put that in there I don't know, but I sure would like to get rid of it. Don't ever buy a house with one in it, or have one put in. They are hard to keep clean, and will begin to smell like stagnate water if not run often, at least once a year the spouts all need to be disassembled and cleaned because they get some sort of slime in them that shoots out at you if you don't keep it cleaned out. I'm too old for all these luxuries. It is time to pare down the wonderful conveniences that we have and move to a simpler way of life again. I guess all this wonderful stuff is ok for the younger ones, but it sure puts a burden on us older ones. Cell phones, cordless phones, internet phones, computers, cordless electric vacuums, all the things that make life wonderful also make it a cluttered, electricity eating monster! Well, guess I will get on with my search for an electrician, and begin to really think about what I want to do with the kitchen. It is literally going to need to be gutted and start over, I did that once in Big Bear, and I am truly dreading it! Oh well, my life is really very good, and I am very happy, I guess a few little inconveniences won't rain on my parade. We aren't rich, have a limited income, but we do well with what we have, if fallen drawers, and a need for circuits is all I have to worry about I better be quiet about it don't you think??? We are both healthy even if we are old, gt around well, have lots of kids, grandkids and friends around, so to heck with the rest of it, just plug along and don't complain about it, laught it off and move on to the next thing that falls apart.

No comments: